What causes TMJ?
The causes of TMJ range from grinding your teeth, clenching your jaw, living a high stress lifestyle as well as age-related wear down of the jaw bone and point. There are numerous methods for TMJ treatment.
Medication: There are three types of medication options available to people suffering with TMJ.
- Pain relievers and anti-inflammatories: Taking supplements like Tylenol or ibuprofen can help as anti-inflammatory treatments that can be taken over the counter.
- Tricyclic antidepressants: While these are typically used for depression, some physicians use this same medication for pain relief.
- Muscle relaxants: This type of drug is sometimes only used for severe pain and should only be taken for a few days or weeks at a time, but they are highly effective in TMJ treatment.
Therapies: If you are looking for a non-drug treatment here are a few options for TMJ treatment
- Oral splints: When suffering from severe jaw pain this is a great option for patients to help keep everything aligned.
- Mouth guards: Similar to the oral splint a mouth guard will also help keep your mouth secure and your jaw where is needs to be.
- Physical therapy: Physical therapy is a great option for any joint or muscle condition. Using heat and ice, a physical therapist can assist in relieve inflammation and joint/muscle pain.
- Counseling: This is a great method to help understand your pain as well as what triggers may cause stress which very well can increase your pain.
Surgical procedures: For more severe cases, surgery may be the best method for TMJ treatment
- Injections: Getting a shot in the affected area can help relieve pressure and inflammation of the affected joint or muscle.
- TMJ arthroscopy: This is a common surgical procedure for TMJ relief as it has fewer risks and complications for patients.
- Open-joint surgery: This is really only used for more serious cases but if there are years of wear, tear and pain this is a great option to help relieve that pain.
Natural alternatives: These are excellent options for patients looking for a natural TMJ treatment
- Acupuncture: This is a great method for relieve pain in a natural, pain free manner.
- Relaxation techniques: Pursuing daily activities like yoga can help patients stretch the body and relax their affected joints and muscles.
- Diet transitions: Many people with TMJ are encouraged to change their diet by consuming softer foods like soups and smoothies. This helps by preventing the jaw from working hard and stretching. It’s also beneficial for overall health.
For more information about TMJ treatment contact us at the Migraine Center of NJ near Essex County. We would love to assist you in pursuing a pain-free life. Give us a call at: (201) 845-8411